02-14-2007, 11:02 PM   #1
LEA69
BORRIS the BMW!
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 MSPORTS & BMW E34 535i

Garage List
Great Service or OVERKILL?

Hey guys, its me again.... my car reached 13000kms and the oil light was on so I looked thru my manual and round out that i needed to top it up just under a litre. OK, so I pop the bonnet and right in front of me there is a sticker saying 'BMW recommends CASTROL oil'. So I ring BMW and ask what model number/ code of Castrol oil i should get and he said that I had to come into BMW and pick one up..... how much? $30.... the guy said that BMW use a 'special' blend of castrol oil... and that I shouldnt just go out and by off the shelf oil for my car...yadda yadda yadda... I'm a chick right.... i know how to drive but dont know much about engines etc...so i rock up that arvo and what do i get:

1 stock standard castrol oil that you can buy off the shelf- no BMW logo or endorsement on the bottle.....

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For my $30, it came in a nice black zipper vinyl black BMW bag, with wet towelettes, gloves and instructions in a neat little packet...........

WHAT THE HELL??? its oil! I just paid $30 for all that crap when all I did was open the lid, pour 500mls in and put the bottle away!!!??? Super Cheap auto sell that exact same oil for $13.95.

Man I feel like an idiot! I could have just bought me oil and lunch on the way!
Mate, dont get me wrong, I do enjoy the luxuries in life but come on... its like buying satin pouches to pick up dog poop rather than using a scoop - waste of money????!!!
Appreciate 0