View Single Post
      10-06-2008, 03:40 PM   #51
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
For those doubting Mr.5, ill drop in my 2 cents here... We all know the SIB is out which says to replace the wastegate actuators for the rattling if the programming doesnt fix it. From my experience, as much as one turn on the actuators can determine it the wastegates will rattle or not. That one turn can be due to the extra play in the wastegate from normal wear and tear. BMW doesnt want the techs to adjust the wastegates there for they have to replace them. After replacing them, the new ones have to be adjusted also. Similar to the way Mr.5 did his except it is a little more complicated and involves a special tool to measure the rod angles with the wastegate open/closed and such.

I too believe that the actuators cant simply turn out of adjustment because the 10mm nut is locked in place. The other end of the rod that connects to the actual wastegate can not spin as long as it is connected to the wastegate so if the 10mm nut is tight, there is no way the rod can spin either. The noise is due to the small amount of play from the wastegate and the minor adjustment is what quiets the wastegates. Now whether or not the wastegate actuators are actually failing, my opinion is no.

Last edited by 1clean335i; 10-06-2008 at 04:39 PM..
Appreciate 0