View Single Post
      06-11-2009, 01:26 PM   #27
Driver72
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i - to new owners now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Those 91oct dyno results look less than great. Perhaps you are running too aggressive of a map for your octane? Even with snake oil...er syntek added. Sorry, but the last thing I would feel comfortable doing is using questionable fuel additive in a Direct Injection system.

shiv
yes, we were running the 93 Octane map with the 91 Octane both pre and post use of the Syntek.
We knew that was not ideal and was going to cause a pretty bumpy chart without the benefit of 100 mph winds from proper air on the road.

And no offense Shiv as I've always respected what you've done (and have bought and sold many of your products), but calling a product that's made by a company that's been around for 20 years, tested in multi-million dollar machines by multi-billion dollar companies, designed and made by engineers and scientists with PHD's, registered with the EPA and accepted and meets all federal guidelines for combustible engines "snake oil" when you make a product that's not been made by scientists or engineers with PHD's, not proven and used for 20 years in multimillion/multi-billion dollars machines and companies, not registered with the EPA, not meeting federal guidelines for all combustible engines, and not legal for street use, emissions use, etc, but rather made by computer guys messing with ECU's is a bit hypocritical and downright foolish don't you think?

The intent here is not to turn this into a flame war, so please don't make it into that as I have no interest in doing so. But to say what you said, when you sell and promote a product that does much more in the affect to do damage to our engine/drivetrain parts or reduce the longevity and well being of our cars, that's simply based on trust by it's customers from a sole computer genius that you are, is plain wrong to attack any product that has the credentials this Syntek has.
I backed your product when I tried it and it made power and worked, full knowing it's not the best for our cars engines/drivetrains, etc.

Now this product actually does GOOD for cars, and environment, with the benefit of increased performance and better gas mileage without increasing octane. Has federal approval, backing, and guidelines. So if I get excited about that and promote it a bit for all, I'm sorry.
It's just very hypocritical of you to call out a proven product with it's benefits and backing, when the tunes you and everybody else make, though awesome for our performance, does absolutely NO good for our cars, it's engines, drivetrain, etc. Just puts more stress on them and makes them perform at levels it's engineers and scientists intended for them not too.

That being said, I still use the tunes, as the power increase is awesome.
I'll use this Syntek too, as it's benefits are awesome, and if there is any drawback it hasn't been seen in 20 years apparently and if so, surely the EPA wouldn't back it.
Unlike Torco/Toulene and so forth that increase octane and heat in your car and leave signs of it's use on your tailpipes, Syntek apparently does not of that. They actually say you'll notice LESS of the black stuff on your tailpipes as the gas will burner cleaner with it, and not as hot.
So you won't get your warranty voided for using it, there is no detection of it, and you don't have to remove the Syntek to take the car in for service either.
Appreciate 0