07-07-2013, 10:52 PM   #8
psnt1ol
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by WOT Bimmer View Post
I'm guessing these scratches are RIDS.

What I mean by doing a spot four times is that I went over that area in a forward-back/side-to-side motion until the polish was gone and I needed to apply more product. I consider that one (1) time. As far as sectional passes, I would guess that I did 10 passes (five forward-back and five side-to-side). My arm speed wasn't that fast, but I didn't apply much pressure.... Should I?

What do you mean by properly primed? I haven't heard of that yet.

Thanks for the help!
Priming the pad means you spread the polish on the pad (like spreading butter on toast) prior to the working product. You are looking to cover the face of the pad. Once primed....add a few (3-4) pea size dots of product and you are now ready to go to work. You only need to prime the pad once (when they were clean and dry).

Mark a vertical line on your backing plate with a sharpie so you could monitor the spinning of the pad. Too much pressure....the machine will bogged down (stop spinning) and nothing happens to the paint. Too little pressure.....again nothing will happens to the paint. You are looking for that sweet spot between the two. It's about 15 -20 lbs.

Your arm speed should be about 1" per sec. The best way to do this is to count it out. If you are doing a section about 1' x 1' and you are using a 5.5 pad, you should be able to count out to about 6 (one thousand and one, one thousand and two, one thousand and three, etc) from your starting point to your ending point. Also.....concentrate on keeping the pad flat to the surface as you make your passes. This will help in getting the entire pad surface to work for you.

You should be able to do about 5-6 passes with 3-4 pea size dots of products if your work area is around 1' x 1' to 1.5' x 1.5'. Try to add the dots away from the center of the pad since the polish tends to travel inward as you work.

Last edited by psnt1ol; 07-07-2013 at 10:59 PM..
Appreciate 0