View Single Post
      06-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #1
yatin c
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 N54

clutch replacement?

I'm beginning to wander if the 118i needs its clutch replacing. Its a ed 57, with 41k on the clock. has the comprehensive insured warranty through mondial.

On Friday I felt it might have slipped a little in first on a hill, and then just slightly more dull changes the rest of that day. Saturday was a day of rest. Sunday again I felt the changes wernt sharp, although there is a clear biting point, and I can cause the car to stall in any gear if stationary with handbrake on and gradually releasing the clutch.

Today on the way to work it was 90% of normal, took it for a good spin (rolling changes up and down, then full throtle each gear) at lunchtime again and was the same. On the way home I did wander if the changes were a bit blunt and it was hard to tell if there was a feint wiff on a slow moving hill with traffic stop/starting (ive disengaed stop start last 2 days). by this stage you do wander if you are imagining things!

My quandry is that do I take it to an independant to just get the clutch changed? (Ive had a few mechanics recommended by friends, but for the past 10years or so ive been a dealer network user). Ive also heard a lot of clutch centres specifically like adding that a dual mass flywheel is needed whilst theyve got your car open, also they may not have specific model knowledge.

Or do I take it to the local dealer (but virtually every interaction ive had with them over the past few years has become "complicated" although for relatively simple or routine things). Atleast then if there are any "extras" they might be covered by the warranty. is the flywheel covered by the extended insured warranty?

Not sure what might be the best way forward, but think im usually quite a perceptive driver and on many occassions have felt there is something wrong early on, got the car "checked out" and told its fine, only a fortnight later for it to become a lot more apparent.

Thoughts appreciated. Apologies for long post.

Yatin
Appreciate 0