View Single Post
      12-09-2012, 04:55 AM   #72
m@rk
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2014 520D SE

Garage List
So when I speced my E91 335D I had to make this decision.

To be honest, the cost was such that I could have taken a 330D with iDrive or a 335D without.

You keep talking about using a free app on your phone but to be honest, if you ever travel abroad, you will regret it.

But I think the right option would be to go for a top of the range TomTom (or similar) which costs no more than £250 with a proper Brodit mount (£35).

This is exactly what I had on my E91 and I had a sat nav system far superior to the BMW system at the time with maps that were always bang up to date, full Google and online services etc etc etc

Sure having a built in system is nice but 2 years in it's going to look sooooo out of date compared to whatever BMW is fitting to the new cars and unlike the TomTom option where £250 gets you the latest and greatest, you will be stuck with the out of date BMW system until you change the car.

As for residuals.

If you are selling it privately it won't add anything to the value but some buyers may want it and therefore not look at your car against others. If trade in however, you are right, the dealer wont care