03-14-2009, 11:04 AM   #67
94JZA80
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1994 BPU Supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig@SupremePower View Post
Nice ride...i wouldn't have sold your 335 for it but different strokes!! Good luck with it man...
i wouldn't have either...

...i'd keep the 335i as the daily beater so the Supra could remain a weekend/low-mileage car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZED View Post
I didn't sell the 335i yet I would love to keep both cars and it kills me to sell the 335i but in this economy one toy rather than two is a smarter financial choice no doubt. I definitely would keep both if the economy wasn't so down in the dumps but maybe it just won't sell for a while so i can still enjoy its awesomeness
well with the money you get for the 335i, you'll be able to buy a more affordable daily driver to put most of your miles on...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh5379 View Post
I drove a new one at the dealer, what a piece of crap, transmission was already whinning from bearing wear. Good luck.

Nowhere the build quality of our BMW's.
the V160 6-speed manual transmission is just as legendary as the 2JZ-GTE powerplant it is mated with. so if you drove one with 1500 miles on it and experienced bearing wear, it was driven super hard/driven improperly/etc., b/c a majority of MKIV Supra owners' transmissions have lasted 100K+ miles without bearing wear. i know first impressions usually last, but it sure sounds to me like you need to give it another try in a Supra who's transmission isn't fucked up.

...and i think there is alot of confusion about what "build quality" really is. sure, the Supra's interior is nowhere near the luxury/quality of the BMW, especially when it comes to materials. but if you're going to talk about build quality in the general sense, i'd say its the other way around - i don't see any Supras having fuel pump failures or inefficient oil cooler problems. don't get me wrong, i love the 335i, but i'm just stating the obvious...just my 2 cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dh5379 View Post
And how many 335i manual transmission cars have worn out transmission bearings after 1500 miles??
and how many MKIV Supras have done that? i have 66K miles on my V160 tranny, probably 15K of which i've been at BPU power levels - and i have an insane clutch in the car (which just makes things harder on the rest of the drivetrain), and yet my bearings are just fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLAZED View Post
This one is putting down 485rwp @ 18psi on 91 octane through a Precision 67mm dual ball bearing turbo. The car has the Boost Logic kit. Next mods are 4" exhaust, cams, fuel, aem, and 700+rwhp on E-85
LOL i read the first sentence and already i was like "damn that's weak for a 67mm turbo"...then i realized that it sounds about right for a 2JZ on pump gas and the stock fuel system...glad to hear you're shooting for the 700whp mark. hurry up and install those parts, tune it on race gas, and post up the dyno