Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
The problem is that im that im shooting racing cars on track. Im branch out from relatively close GRC stuff to trophy trucks and TUSC. I worked the Red bull Frozen Rush event and I was really limited by my lenses. So I need a really long and very high quality lens thats capable of dealing with the way I beat things up.
I don't understand your problem. I wander through the woods, climb over rocks and felled trees, wade through mud, etc., with two camera bodies, two mounted lenses, including a super-telephoto, along with two-lenses in my vest and two teleconverters. How is being at the track going to be worse than that? Do you ride on the hood of one of the trucks?

Reliability of an L-series lens is going to beat a Tamron or Sigma in the long haul, but the Tammy/Siggy new lenses are not all-plastic throw aways either.

I think that 400mm is sufficient for most, but not all, race shooting. It'll depend on your access. If you have credentials and get into the pro photo areas, then 400mm will likely be enough. That's a way of saying that a 100-400mm might be enough, as would an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS-II with an EF 2.0x TC-III, all driven by a 1D X. Another ideal lens is the 200-400mm with the built in 1.4x TC. That's be kick ass for cars and trucks.

You didn't pin a $ limit, so I'm giving you a whole range of options, from 1,000-bucks to mega-bucks.

Dave