View Single Post
      06-13-2009, 06:07 PM   #1
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Test drove an M5 and experienced the 750i and Z4 35i

First off I have to apologize for all the derogatory comments that I have passed about the new 7. I was at my dealership this afternoon and on the floor was a 750i sport. I sat inside and felt the switchgear and steering. It was as small as my 335s and a lot softer to touch. I fell in love instantly. The gear stock and the I drive controller were finished in titanium. Very classy. One observation though... the 7 does feel a lot smaller than the S class inside, and it may be due to the large central tunnel.

Next the Z4. Quality seems to have improved a lot compared to the previous generation and it feels a lot more mature. I like the switchgear and the plethora of satin chrome finish throughout. If only they made a coupe version.

As I was leaving the dealership, I noticed a used M5 on the lot. I began talking to the SA and after a brief conversation, I asked him to let me drive it.

I have noticed this in the 5ers, but it seems that the interior seems to be sub standard compared to the 3, 7, the X5, X6 and the Z4s. It just does not appeal to me. This particular example was an 06, low miles and fully loaded. As I started driving it, I noticed that the power delivery was very smooth and not as mental as my 335. It was very easy to go over the limit and not feel the speed, but not experiencing that instantaneous thrust that I feel in my car was not something that I was prepared for. Somehow this left me sort of disconnected with reality and hence brought on a lot of disappointment. I felt crushed as my childhood icon wasn't all that. I expected a lot more from this car, but in all fairness I had placed it on a hallowed pedestal and expected the world out of it. Now before some of you chew me out, I drove it in M and non M modes.

So in the end I am torn inside. A part of me wants to trade my car in for this icon, but the more practical part wants me to wait for the F10 550i....
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0