View Single Post
      01-28-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
sricca
Private
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi

TV Activation on USA 2006 330xi I drive

Does anyone have an in depth answer on the issue of OEM TV activation? In Europe they have an OEM TV tuner that can be installed in an e90. There are tools that can plug into the cars can bus and activate the TV function in the Idrive menu so it then shows TV as a selection up where FM SAT AUX is . I know US BMW dealers have told me there is no way to program this because the codeing does not exist in the US BMW dealer computer. My question is, has anyone in the us tried to buy one of these can bus tools that turn on the TV function in the Idrive Menu?
I know just activation of the Idrive to look for the tuner is only one small step. I have a dension gateway500 with the AVR unit. My car had the MP3 cd changer codeing so this unit works fine. The avr unit does 2 things. It passes the Ipod video menu into the idrive and opens the ipod to video functions. The avr unit comes with a Nav unit harness that in concept will fool a Nav unit (programmed for TV tuner) to think the OEM TV Tuner is present and pass the video from the ipod into the video in pins on the nav unit and when TV is selected on the idrive show the video in proper 16:9 without blanking out the right side of the idrive screen that shows nav map. The Avr unit works well for rear seat installed LCDs. I have my ipod loaded with about 80 movies and its great for thr kids to have all movie selections come up on the idrive. I would like to open the full funtions with the idrive TV function to show the Movies on the nav screen. I know about the LVDS units and I don't wan't to go that way. Any more info would help Thanks
Appreciate 0