View Single Post
      07-06-2010, 03:28 PM   #3
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbomike View Post
I'm i a similar situation, my 335d was remapped before i bought it and i love the power it produces but i would prefer a box product so i can disconnect it if it ever gets a stealer update, then you simply plug it back in, all my friends have tuning box's (on mercs etc..) and all swear by them. my consumption is 30-32 mpg around town which is 80% of my driving so i think some of the claims about better fuel economy being increased might only be evident on motorway runs etc..
Most tuners will re-upload a map if the dealer wipes the ECU - so for me, that's not really an issue. I have a little baby and worry what would happen if the misses borrowed my car and it started raining! My old E46 330d (204bhp) was a real handful in the rain after the re-map.

If you search the forum, there's a member already here who's had their 335d box tuned. The reports are all good IIRC.

I also think people are a little snobbish and too easily dismissive of tuning box's - when if you think about it - the latest gear does pretty much the same job as a re-map.
Appreciate 0