Caster
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 SG 325i

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
Here is a better description/rant about the stock lens.

I think there is a problem with mine. Maybe you can let me know and see if I should send it to Canon:

When it is in AF mode it "hunts" for a focus pretty much all of the time and unless I focus on something in front of me (ie the ground or something) and then move it up it will just continue to hunt or I have to turn it to MF to actually take a picture.

It started happening when I'm close to an object but that's understandable and I would just switch it to MF or step further away.

Then it started happening in low light settings and I got pissed. I'd be in a parking lot with an ok amount of light trying to take a picture of a car. I'm on a tripod with like an 8" shutter and I KNOW it can take the picture but it just keeps hunting.

When I got really fed up is when I was on vacation and I wanted to take photos of the landscape. The mountains were too far away for it to see them I guess so anytime I wanted to take a photo I had to focus on the water, move the camera up, and then take a picture.

The last straw was when some guy volunteered to take a photo of my boyfriend and I and we were literally like 10 feet away from him, if that and it wouldn't focus and after several tries I told him to focus it on teh ground, then move the camera up and take the picture and it worked.

sadfgmd;nkghsfjgjhfdjdj

I had a guy at the lens shop look at it and he said my settings were normal and he didn't know why it was doing that.

What is going on??????
Its the AF on the kit lens, its not THAT great of lens. Stopped down to F/8.0 is pretty good, but the AF motor can hunt and is noisy, but I think you're expecting too much out of it as well, its not a macro lens so u can't be extremely close to something if you want to capture it. If you look on the side there will be a little flower that reads ".28m/.09ft" which means it will focus clearly that far away from the object.

If you want a cheap macro I'd suggest looking into the Canon 50mm F/1.8 (also known as the nifty-fifty) and with some kenko extension tubes. The 50mm F/1.8 is a great lens for its price, but its also going to hunt like the kit lens, the AF on it isn't anything special either, and can get very annoying. Check this thread on POTN for some shots of the 50mm F/1.8 with extension tubes.

Edit: Sorry I was only reading parts of your thread, but make sure your focus points are correct, because if not it's going to change where you want it to focus. To do that press the * button on the upper right hand corner, and make press the center circle button (where the 4 directional buttons are) and make sure that the red dot is either in the center or on all the the points.

Appreciate 0