profenx
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i E92 6MT TiAg/black

Garage List
2008 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S View Post
Just posted this somewhere else, but thought I would put it here for future reference, in case anybody needs it:

It is possible to drive the E90 335i LCI MT transmission smoothly (dunno about the others, just referring to what I have)

You do not need a CDV delete or clutch stop or anything to drive it smooth, granted, getting the aforementioned might make things easier.

My number 1 tip for driving the 6MT we have in our cars smoothly is staying on the throttle when upshifting, i.e. revmatching while upshifting. Let me illustrate: say you're revving 2000 rpm in 1st and want to go to 2nd. Clutch in, but do NOT LIFT YOUR FOOT OFF THE ACCELERATOR COMPLETELY. Instead, go to like 1400 RPM, or whatever the correct engine speed is for your actual speed. Now, as you release the clutch, smoothly apply gas to keep the revs at the appropriate level. When the clutch is out, stomp on it, and then do the same for all proceeding shifts.

Like this, I can go from 1->2->3->4 at city speeds and you can't feel a thing, only smooth acceleration.

I don't even think about the RPMs now or look at the tach, I can just feel how much I have to move my foot. Learning the process becomes easier if you shift at like 3000 rpm or so, the engine has more inertia and you have longer to adjust your revs = easier to be smooth.

Other cars that I have driven (NA or turbodiesel) haven't required staying on the throttle as much as this car likes it.

ANY amount you stay on the gas (even like 0.00001mm depressed pedal) is better than having your foot off the gas while upshifting.

Of course, with your foot on the gas, you do not want the RPMs to climb while upshifting.

Downshifting, there is no need to move your foot off the accelerator at all, just revmatch.

I found this to be very smooth transition also. If I'm not accelerating I can keep my foot steady on the gas, depress the clutch, shift, and as I'm shifting the RPMS decrease slowly, release the clutch and I'm in the exact right RPM for the gear.

I'm wondering if it's ok to depress the clutch while still completely on the gas because I was taught to lift my foot off the gas when depressing the clutch. This leads to a quick drop in RPMS and so I end up feathering the clutch a little because it dips down 100-250 lower than the target RPM for the gear I'm going into.

I also tried depressing/releasing the clutch while steady on the gas, on the same gear. The RPMS stay the same before and after so if I kept depressing and releasing the clutch like this and there's no change in RPMS is there any damage to the clutch or anything else?

I could up shift quick enough going 1-2 2-3 (sometimes 3-4 but not higher gears) and hit the right RPMS without the gas but it's an uncomfortable shifting speed for me.

I saw this being asked but no one really replied or I missed it but how do you shift from high revs like 5000-6000. I find myself slowing down my clutch release because the revs stay higher than the target RPMS for the gear I'm going into. For example 2nd gear at 5000 if I shift normally like I would if it was 3000 I would end up in 3rd gear at maybe 4400 RPMS but the RPMs continue to drop to maybe 4000. Do you just gas it more to bring the RPMS up after?

Took awhile to read this whole thread but Interesting and informative.

Thanks all!
Appreciate 0