View Single Post
      06-23-2011, 08:24 PM   #39
specE30Dude
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by specE30Dude View Post
In case anyone was curious what the current height described by my last post looks like, I've attached a photo that was taken today. I hope to have the new wheels/tires by the end of the month and will post more then.

Also, additional feedback from a drive this weekend through some great twisties up to the top of the Shenandoah Mtns. The suspension felt VERY good and planted going in and coming out of the turns under heavy breaking driving at 95% of what the tires would allow. Clearly, a huge improvement from stock. With that said, the road was recently paved and no bumps whatsoever.

After the new tires/wheels are installed and ride height is adjusted a bit more (slightly higher), I will provide more feedback.
3 Months later and I get somewhere! The new tires and wheels have been installed and I have now had several months on the suspension. I could not be more happy with representing the "D" as a special street car.

As far as the suspension goes, it is due for more tweaking, unfortunately. My 450/800 setup remains to be far too much for stock subframe bushings when the suspension is forced to travel (over bumps) at high speeds. It just doesn't feel as stable as a I like - I will be investigating more when I can find the time to do the install.

I was previously running stock BMW 195 wheels with run flats and my new set up is below:
Advan RS (Gunmetal) F, 18X8.5 - 235/40/18 R, 18X9.5 - 265/35/18
Michelin Pilot Super Sports
>>I could not be happier with the look and fitment! The tires feel much better than the RFTs but that doesn't change that the suspension is still stiff with a very light wheel setup. Gunmetal goes very well with Space Gray. Comparing the numbers, I have lost 56-60lbs of unsprung weight, not including the weight lost by the Swift/AST setup.

Other Mods:
>> Switching between Burger Tuning Diesel Module and the VAC Tuning Box. Both are roughly the same with slightly different setup/claims but they both put a smile on my face.. I may sell one of them?
>> Front M3 wishbone and tension links
>> Black kidney grille
>> 35% window tint on all side and rear windows.

Still to go near term:
>> Sub frame bushings and other rear links. Probably will start with sub frame only.
>> Front strut bar
>> M tech front bumper

Pictures - I hope to be taking better much ones soon:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0