View Single Post
      11-14-2015, 11:08 PM   #32
iaknown
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Orman View Post
Damn this is helpful stuff you guys. DWR I think you nailed it, I.e., what I thought was quenching at low RPM was probably a mixture in the cylinder that was more meth than diesel. It was a clacking sound that I would get with a drop in power. I have now been going the other direction, more water and less meth at 10 psi with no ill effect.

Apologies to all for misinterpreting this stuff.

I wish to god I knew what was a safe threshold pre DPF temp wise. After several high speed runs today with more careful measurement behind the Oakland port, my pre DPF temps peak at ~1,000 with no water meth and ~1050 with 30% meth. Tomorrow I will unplug my Chipexpress to try and determine how much my temps are over stock with no piggyback and no meth. In spite of my earlier enthusiasm I do wish I was getting a bit more power, but I don't want to push the temperature too high.

Does anybody have a rule of thumb they use on temps, ie, if I'm at 1000 degrees pre DPF that means I'm at 1300 degrees on the turbo? I know that nobody out there wants to give advice that might melt another persons engine, but it would be helpful to get some guidance in this area. My EGR is blocked but otherwise all the emissions equipment is still on the car.

For what it's worth, driving this car hard does not seem to have any ill effect on it. (Sounds like famous last words.)
You were warned a while ago in post #32 of your own thread Chief, just sayin I found similar results by personal experience as well....
Appreciate 0