United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvanayoda View Post
I've upgraded to Dinan Stage 3 (Dinan Intercooler, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Cold Air Intake, Dinan Stage 3 Software), but I didn't want to upgrade the exhaust because I like the toned down stock sound.

However, after a week or two of running Stage 3, my exhaust is getting really black/cloudy toward the tip. I'm wondering if I'm pushing too much through the stock exhaust pipes, and, if so, I might go ahead and upgrade to either the Dinan or the BMW Performance exhaust.

So I guess the question is how bad is it to have whatever Stage 3 is putting out (I'm somewhere around a claimed 410-420 HP to the crank you'd figure with the CAI) without upgrading the exhaust too?
Nope...not enough to be gained, other than a weight reduction in the rear (stock mufflers are heavy) and possibly 4-5 hp at most. Most of what you get with aftermarket exhaust is appearance and sound. One thing you might consider is some new exhaust tips of a larger diameter (not double-walled, which reduces the inside diameter) that may change the tone a bit. A lot less expensive than a full system. I you do decide to do the full system, I (and a lot of other folks) recommend the BMW Performance system. Price it at Tischer's online store, print out the "shopping cart" and see if your local dealer will match the price (About $1395 not including shipping or install).

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0