06-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #17
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Okay. I suppose I'm just not as attached to my cars as some of you. I drive my cars hard and track them too. Aside from a money shift, or sideswiping a string of valet cars, I don't really worry about what valets or maintenance guys do to my cars, especially if they're interesting. I have better things to worry about than someone else putting one more redline shift on my car (provided the oil's nice and warm).

One amusing story involved the Porsche dealer sending out many customers cars to have the engine driven hard after it was warmed up to help clear up the oil return lines in the old air cooled engines. Many drivers babied their 993's and one of the quickest solutions to rough idling 993's was a good, old fashioned Italian tune up. I would guess more than one of those owners would have scoffed at such "abuse" to their car too, if they'd been told directly about it. Not as much though as they probably would have been up in arms about early 2.5L Boxsters getting new engines during oil changes so Porsche didn't have to do an actual recall.
Funny that you think they will warm your car up nice and well before taking it for a hard spin illegal joy ride... I think that's the concern for most of us in terms of the mechanical aside (leaving moral and principle out).

Dropped my car in for service on Thursday, and I really regret not noting the mileage. It's no Ferrari, but it's definitely not your run of the mill silver 328 or 528 either...
Appreciate 0