09-23-2013, 04:00 PM   #18
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autosport View Post
My question to you is do you heel toe properly? BMWs are setup in a way that when you 'heel toe' you aren't using your heel at all. The brake pedal sits up pretty high so even under extreme braking, unless you have an impossible foot, you can't rotate to use just your heel.

What you want to practice on the street is rev-match downshifting. To achieve this you want to do the follow: Have about half of your right foot on the brake and half of it hovering over the gas pedal...

1) Brake (which should bring the right side of your right foot very close to the gas pedal)
2) Depress clutch
3) Slip gear into neutral (when gear is in neutral, blip the throttle with the right side of your right foot, all while the left side of your right foot is continually depressing the brake)
HINT: The amount you 'blip' the throttle will depend on braking. The harder you are braking the less you have to blip because your RPMs will be dropping quickly. This is ALL about feeling your gear ratio and practicing.
4) Shift into lower gear
5) Release the clutch

So overall just practice on the streets. I ALWAYS rev-match downshift (unless there is a cop around). It is quite rewarding once you get the hang of it.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

-Mike
Pretty much dead on IMO. If you brake very hard you don't even need to blip the throttle at all. Here is what I'm talking about:

Brake late, less foot work ,less steering input = faster lap as long as you get all corner entries/exit correct.

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0