View Single Post
      04-14-2008, 08:28 PM   #2
nm328xi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2007 328XI

I have. I bought a 2007 328xi and it exhibited a cracking noise from the rear parcel shelf area. It wasn't a big deal, but when I brought the car in to have the satellite radio and iPod interface installed, I asked them to fix it.

After taking the car apart for a month, and having the BMW field tech look at it and consult, they offered to replace it...their idea. I understand the field tech has the power to offer the buy back so it's best to wait for him.

I ordered a 2008 model just the way I wanted it (which was pretty much just the way the 2007 came...but with iPod and satellite radio factory installed...MUCH better) and it was a straight-across swap.

I signed papers that stated I was settling a "complaint" with BMW by swapping cars out, and I signed paperwork that changed the "collateral" of the loan from the old car to the new car, and the dealer took care of re-registering the tag and paid for that part themselves. I didn't give them any more money (except for an alarm, which I decided I wanted which I didn't have on the first car.)

I waited six weeks for the new car to come in. In the mean time, the dealer put the old car back together and I drove it until the new one arrived. While they had the old car apart and were putting it back together, they gave me 328xi loaners. I can't say enough good things about Santa Fe BMW. They was astonishingly great.

The ironic thing is, the 2008 also presents a cracking noise from the rear shelf area, but under different circumstances. The 2007 made the noise anytime driving over large pavement joints or cracks. The 2008 makes the noise when it moves from one temperature environment like the parking garage to another, like driving in full sun. The cracking noise may or may not sound when driving over road imperfections when the car is changing temperature.

At this point, though, I'm inclined to say "forget it!" and just live with it.

The 2007 had a lot fewer miles on it than yours, but that may or may not be a factor in BMW's buy-back decision making.

If I can find the source of the cracking noise myself, I'll fix it. But I'm not going to worry about it because I otherwise love this car and don't want to go through the ordeal of having the dealer try to fix it for a month again.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0