03-01-2010, 09:04 AM   #32
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer-Bob View Post
The LEAST sporty of the BMW's? Are you joking? Are you saying a 328i is more sporting than a 128i? Or that the 5 and 7 Series cars aren't more conservatively styled and less sporty looking? Or any of the X vehicles? That is actually laughable, as is your contention that the 128i is anywhere near the same category as a standard Golf. Granted, the R32 is flashier, but in a boy-racer way. That's not a good thing. If your aim is to appear an overgrown adolescent, then choose the R32.
Is the 128i any sportier in context within the range of the 1 series than say a 328i is in the 3 series linup? I personally don't think so, especially when you consider the 135i is currently it's sportiest model in the range and this too will soon be replaced at the top dog by the M1. At least the R32 was the top model in the Mk5 Golf lineup, only to be replaced with the equivalent Golf R in the Mk6. In Europe the Golf, especially the GTI and R models at seen as equals to the Audi and BMW equivalents and to prove this point the Golf R is sold at a slightly higher price than the S3 which is identical in almost every way.

Maybe it is you that has the problem or just the perspection in the US that the GTI and R32 aren't seen as an equal to the equivalent BMW. I would go as far as to say that I highly doubt too many former R32 owners would view the 128i as a step up the ladder either, maybe a 135i but certainly not the 128i.
Appreciate 0