09-18-2012, 10:54 AM   #153
montreal red
chris
Canada
Rep
Drives: White Boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim View Post
TONY IS MODDING HIS CAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!! finally.

Speaking of modding, finally put coilovers on the wife's car (amusing that she got coilovers before I did). Drop is even lower than before (I think I was dropped 25mm before, pretty sure I'm around 50mm lower than stock right now), and the car certainly feels every single damn crack in the road... but holy shit, the handling is like 10x improved now. It's so nimble now that I can probably slalom at 100 km/h. And this is on winter tires! (I shudder at the thought of how stiff it will be on lower profile summers... will find out in a week).

The amusing thing is my R, with its relatively hard suspension (some guy on the forums was selling an R suspension that he "tried and found to be way too hard" on his GTI - oh, little does he know) feels like a complete BOAT. Zig-zagging on the road has so much body roll (comparatively, anyway) that I feel like the car would flip if I did it hard enough. I guess a set of KWs is due for the R... maybe after the winter, though. Wonder if I should get the ones with the iPhone adjustable settings :P
so i guess you sent your summer wheels out to get powdercoated?? who did you end up sending it to ?

i am surprised that coil overs made your mini so stiff... on my KWs, i played with the damping and rebound settings for a week until i was happy with it. the end result was pretty good. i had a car that was basically as comfortable as stock but with much much less body roll when cornering. my suggestion is to play around with the settings for a week to find your sweet spot. i dont know how yours is adjusted but it was a lot of hassle to adjust mine. i had to take off my wheels everytime i wanted to change a setting but it was definitely worth it to 'tune' the suspension. the suspension tuning capability of a coil over is what makes the whole set up so sweet.

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2016 Mini JCW
2013 GLK350 (gone), 997.1 GT3RS (gone), 2009 WRX STI (gone), e92 M3 (gone)
Appreciate 0