View Single Post
      07-19-2011, 06:16 AM   #1
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

Connecting two routers to one modem?

Hi All,

I'm on Virgin and just got an 'n' router. It works OK but because some of my devices are not 'n' compatible, they knock all connected devices down to 'g'.

So, can I just connect my old 'g' router to the modem at the same time as my new 'n' one, and have two networks. Then, I would only connect my 'n' devices to my N router, and g devices to my g router... ???

Second question:

If I run a cat5 out the back of my modem into a mains home plug, and then connect the router to a home plug else where, would it still work? My assumption is that the router will not know it's getting it's signal via a home plug and assume it's connected directly to the modem. I want to do this so I can re-position my router in a more central location in the house.

Third question:

My new router has sockets on the back so you can hard wire devices into it. If I was to re-locate my router using a home plug (if this works) can I just piggy back my old router off the new one? Or, does the router need to be connected directly to the modem?

Thanks all!!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0