View Single Post
      06-04-2013, 10:34 AM   #6
KimIsAGuy
Rep
Drives: E90 Jet Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricerider187 View Post
what color is your car? so I should 2 step polish (as in 2 abrasives, one mild cut, one for polishing?)

I cant afford the PC homie.

i hear the HF isn't too bad... with a 6" plate I might have to use 6.5" pads?? is this bad?

thanks for taking the time to reply, really appreciate it.

RR187
I have a jet black E90. Its a pain to take care of, but once you get down to how to maintain it, its not that bad.

If you're planning to detail your car often, lets say once every other month or once a month, I say save up for it because I detail my car once a month. 30min clay (because I clay it once a month that's why its 30mins), 2 step polish (Detail Addict G-2500 then G-3500), and 2 layers of Detail Addict's Sealant Wax. I personally think its a good investment.

Detail Addict G-2500 is more abrasive than the G-3500 (obviously, not trying to be sarcastic in any way), but its nothing too abrasive where it can damage your paint (generally speaking of course, nothing is completely fool-proof.) Polish goes from abrasive to least abrasive, you don't polish it twice with 2 abrasive level polish because in that case you're not finishing down the paint down. Polishing essentially scratching up your car, you want to go most abrasive to get the correction then move down to clean up those scratches and refine the paint more and more as you move down the abrasive level.

Take a picture of your paint condition.

The 2-step polish step is just a generality, its a good starting point. See if you can do the 2 step, maintain it afterwards, see if that's the correction you want, then you move on from there. Its a good practicing point just to get the hang of things then work on getting better and moving up to more abrasive polish.

If you start with the abrasive one first and you don't really know what you're doing, you can mess up your paint.

I use a 5.5" pads and a 4-3/4" backing plate. Sizing of the pad matters, the bigger the pads are the harder it is for you to get into smaller spaces (ie. A-pillar, door handles, license plate area, etc).

Like the guy who said, skills does matters, but a good set of tools can make a difference. With limited tools your skills are limited, so if you're going to take it serious, save up for a nice orbital. That way tools aren't your limiter, you are, and as humans we can become better at what we do as learn and progress.
Appreciate 0