View Single Post
      10-30-2010, 06:15 AM   #78
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by wizardsway View Post
I have read over all this and i myself may have to replace my battery someday as of now my 06 325i seems fine. I agree i don't like spending 300 to 400 to have my battery replaced but on the other hand as much as you pay for these cars i do want it done right and will pay when the time comes.
I am really surprised how many people will buy high dollar parts like body kits and wheels and tires and all kinds of mods to make there cars a little faster but when it comes to maintenance like replacing the battery they go to pep boys.

I realized when i purchased my BMW and by the way it was used that there is expenses that come with owning one i also bought the extended warranty, i have replaced head lights and my wheels and tires. I have no regrets and i will buy another one in the future.

All cars are becoming more complicated and harder to work on if you really want a car you can work on and enjoy the feel of doing it yourself maybe you should consider a older model BMW or what ever type of car you are into.

we are headed into the future of cars being more electronic and complicated after all how many manufacturers take into consideration that someone wants to work on there own car and fix it when most people trade them in by the time there 5 years old and warranty's are up by then.

I will most likely trade my car in when it's payed for after reading about New cars and BMW's and how there not built to work on by a backyard mechanic
I really don't see why everyone thinks cars are harder to work on nowadays. I've been working on cars for more than 30 years and started back when cars had carburetors and point ignition. Today's cars may have more parts (which increases the potential of the mean time between failure) but they also come with great diagnostic capability built right in; all you need is the interface to access it. Back in the day when a car was running poorly, there were a million places to start with diagnosis; bad vacuum advance?, worn points?, wrong point gap?, bad diaphragm in the fuel pump?, worn carb jets?, bad float valve?

Today? - get a SES light indicating a problem, plug in a scanner, read the code and you know what the problem is or you’re pretty close to knowing what the problem is. A modern BMW? - you change the oil every 15,000 miles, the plugs every 100,000 miles, air filter every 50,000 miles; I think it’s great.
Appreciate 0