View Single Post
      01-02-2013, 12:56 PM   #13
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

For the washing, I bring it to an indoor hand wash place most of the time. It gets sprayed, washed, and dried. Then it goes back into my home car shelter or garage.

Even better than that if I take the car to work. My building garage has a car wash service. It is washed, dried, and brought back to my parking spot, where it continues to dry off, so no frozen car locks and windows etc..

If I washed it myself, or at automatic car wash, sometimes I go to my work heated parking garage and let it sit there to dry in the heat, or I dry it myself and I'm not freezing my butt off outside. Plus I can leave all the doors open and walk all around the car, since no one is there on the weekend or after work.

My biggest comentary on winter washing is, if it is cold out when you wash a car, or it gets cold over night or the next day, the rubber seals on the doors and trunk may freeze up and prevent you from opening them. After the wash, make sure to dry those rubber seals. When you get home, dry them again. You can help the situation by applying a thin film of silicon spray, or paste before the wash. You can reapply again before washes or when the doors feel like they are starting to stick. For me it lasts a while.

This might not be a problem for you if you don't live where it is always below freezing in winter. For me it's a problem.
Appreciate 0