View Single Post
      01-16-2007, 12:02 PM   #107
dolby
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 e90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jase700
Actually, I think you are slightly mistaken. I just came back from the Performance Driving school this weekend.

Pressing it quickly disables traction control, but stability control stays on. you will see the DTC light on your dash.
Pressing it and holding it will disable traction and stability and put a little hazard icon on your guages.

I learned the hard way on the skid pad.

I was confused about DTC and DSC as well.

Here is a repost from a couple weeks ago....

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolby
I think the manual is confusing people about DTC.

Here is what is says,

"DTC is a version of DSC in which the drive output is optimized for particular road conditions, e.g. unplowed snow covered roads. The system assures the maximal drive output, but with reduced driving stability. It is therfore necessary to drive with appropriate caution."

What the manual is not so clearly saying is, if you start the car up and floor it, the computer will apply brakes and reduce power output when it detects wheel spin. When you push the button thus illuminating the DSC light, your wheels will spin if you loose traction on a hard launch.
Just to make sure of this, I went out this rainy afternoon and tested it. The car without the DTC illuminated prevents the wheels from spinning on a launch. When you "Activate" DTC by pushing the button and illuminating the DTC light in the instrument panel, the wheel will in fact break loose on a launch. This may seem backwards logic, but it is actually just "BMW logic"

Hope this helps put the is it on or off debate to rest.

dolby
- 2009 E90 M3 - Jet Blk on Blk mDCT
- 1987 E30 325is - track car conversion in progress
Appreciate 0