01-10-2011, 02:09 PM   #1
Dj_Frost
Second Lieutenant
Panama
Rep
Drives: 07 335i & 94 3000GT VR4

Exclamation Please help me out, SES rough idle issue... cant figure it out

Hey guys,

Ok, so I have a rough idle issue which I can't figure out, below are the symptoms and what I have had done to it so far with no results:

1) It all started with the SES light on but the car worked perfectly, no issues at all.

2) 2 days before I installed my procede, the car had a rough idle issue which went away after I drove off my parking lot. I used the car some more that day and night, no issues

3) The day before I installed the v5, it did the same thing but this time it took a bit longer for the issue to go away, the car felt it was in limp mode and it didn't go away until I hit 4th gear on the highway about 5 minutes after starting the car. I use the car later that night and no issues

4) Installed the v5 procede, went out to auto tune, no problems, car pulls awesome!

5) The following day I have the same rough idle issue and it takes longer to go away. I have no serial/usb cable so I cant see codes. Later on another start and running out of fuel the rough idle would not go away, went to the gas station to fill the tank and when I started it back at the station, it was fine! So I thought it was dirty injectos... I buy and pour one in with full tank. When the car is fine and I have no rough idle issues I step on it to kinda get the mix of fuel/clean inj product on but now I seem to have lost power, it will start hard and chirp the tires but after 2-4k power goes bye bye and the car actually feels slower than stock. I have rough idle issues again that day.

6) I start trouble shooting cause I am really worried now and get 4 codes from the procede (got the cable now) which show misfire on cyl 1,2,3 and the code for multiple cyl misfire. I stop driving the car

7) I clean the BOV cause I notice it doesnt close properly and is blowing alot of air when I am in idle. BOV is now clean and lubbed but car will still have a rough idle after 10 secs of turning it on. Basically what will happen is that I press the start button, the car starts and it's all fine but about 5-10 seconds after just being there without me touching the pedal, the car will drop to around 500rpm and rough/idle makes noises and the SFS light blink.

8) I swap the coils from 1,2,3 to 4,5,6 and retest, same issue, pull codes and I get misfire on 4,5,6 and multiple cyl so I think awesome! it's the coils (although I did find it quite weird that 3 of them would go at the same time and I think once one goes, it wont work intermittently like my problem showed), so I replaced those 3.

9) Tried again, no dice, same symptoms only that now after I press the start button and wait 5-10 seconds, the car will actually rev UP to abour 1.5-2k and kinda like Fart? for a sec before going back down to the usual 500rpm rough idle, etc

10) Another strange thing is that every single time that the car starts (is fine for the first 10 secs) and starts having the rough idle issue (where 2 or 3 cyls are not working properly), I can tap on the gas and rev a little to lets say 2k and let off and the car will have a regular idle again. If I try to drive it though (only tried in the garage), it will rough idle and run with less cyls again.

I have new spark plugs in there and I'm thinking PCV valve or something that controls the coils (isn't it the cars computer directly) or I dunno?? injectors, hpfp? It just doesnt make sense to me..

Video:

Please help guys!

*********** 2012 EDIT (1 yr later, wow, time sure flies by):

Due to some tough times with my company and other priorities (plus just being depressed about a half working car) I just now got back to looking at this whole thing and trying to get it fixed and I've been talking to Rob from Vishnu about it quite a bit....

Some updates which I think I haven't posted here were:

Changed spark plugs, nothing
Changed all the injectors, seals, nothing
Changed the in tank fuel filter/regulator, nothing

Next on the list:

Check/Clean VANOS and PCVs

Some other newer videos I took and sent to Rob:

On the above video, I had just cleared all codes (reason why the SES light is gone) and wanted to throw it on purpose. You can clearly see/hear the *burp* I've always talked about and get every single time I start the car. The only difference is that, if I am holding the revs above 1k until I get that *burp* the car won't fail and sound/run like crap. If I don't hold the revs, so basically just turn on the car like you should, what happens is what shows on this video. It wasn't as bad because the car was a bit warm from the drive to my friends but trying to drive it like that would throw the code instantly and be a pain to drive as well. On the next video you can see/hear it much worse.

You can also see the smoke that will appear from time to time when I'm either idle or driving around without the rough conditions. I have found out it doesn't have a pattern at all, its just really intermittent, unless I make the car fail like on the video, there it will usually smoke just like that all the time.

The video above is with the A/C on the car will 100% always fail really bad, just like the video shows.

[Race] 1994 Rare Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
[Daily] 2007 BMW E92 335i 6MT
SPECS: [SpaceGray.Sport.Premium.Nav] MODS: [BTDCI.AAFMIC.AABOV.EBAYDP.?EXHAUST.VPROCEDE.BSHOCC]

Last edited by Dj_Frost; 01-12-2012 at 02:42 PM.. Reason: Thread icon
Appreciate 0