View Single Post
      07-12-2012, 10:05 PM   #53
mkent
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleex024 View Post
im not removing anything under the car as i feel there is more than looks and noise reduction behind that...but the engine cover is a different story.

also im not removing the cowl either...just the engine cover.

overall with the high ambient temperatures i am really pleased as to oil temps...now i have to move onto going either 50/50 distilled water/coolant and water weter to get my water temps down...might even do as much as 75/25.
I don't think anybody said anything about the underpanels being for noise reduction--noise reduction only applied to the engine cover. The underpanels are simply for aerodynamics...to reduce the coefficient of drag.
As MDORPHN stated a few posts ago, a proper aero design will promote a lower pressure under the car. For the air that does make it under the car, the belly pan (under panels) make for a smoother surface for the airflow to follow. Less turbulent airflow means less drag.
Since manufactures began adding these belly pans, they basically eliminated a major engine compartment vent. That low pressure region under the car was creating a vacuum to pull heat from the engine compartment underneath the car and out to atmosphere. Now the aerodynamic underpanels sealed off the bottom side of the engine compartment and blocked off access to this low pressure region.

There are a hand full of solutions to combat the poor ventilation of the engine compartment. A vented hood may be the most obvious. Everyone has seen turbocharged supercars with vented hoods...there is more to a cooling SYSTEM than a radiator and waterpump.

Another method would be to vent the underside of the engine compartment by giving up a little drag.

If I were tracking my car often, I would be investigating one of these 2 solutions AND running a larger than OEM oil cooler.
Appreciate 0