11-28-2009, 08:02 AM   #25
fdiprete
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 512i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
I've been working on this on and off since 2004... the cost of plastic injection molding for a connector like this is about the price of a new Hyundai Accent.

No joke.
amen brother.

I took the connector apart to reveal the 2 smaller connectors inside the housing. They have 2 pin sizes in them. Some of the mating connectors for each of the 2 are available from newark electronics but the hard part is figuring out which ones you need. The actual connectors used are OEM only and not available through normal sales.

My idea was to get the connectors - probably 4 total, 2 of each type - if I could find them, then make a mold and poured resin connector rather than using injection molding. I've made molds and parts using smooth-on products as a hobbyist.

I envisioned taking the external locking housing off the harness, plug the 2 connectors into the fabricated mating connector, and store the lock housing to revert.

In the end I cut the thing off because my car is not a lease and I'm going to drive for 100K miles. By then the car won't be worth anything at resale anyway.
Appreciate 0