11-20-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
David70
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 Z4M Coupe - 13 Cadillac ATS

Quote:
Originally Posted by five_timer View Post
I actually misunderstood the intent of your sentence - I thought you were referencing back to Alonso as the subject; i.e. they're both getting pummled by Mercedes, but at least Alonso's still world class. So in that case, my reply was not directed at you, as I honestly think Alonso may very well be the best driver out there.

But there seems to be a conspiracy to discredit Vettel's abilities and 4 WCs. He'd be the first to admit that the season hasn't gone well, and that RIC is a fast and smart driver. But by my count, Vettel's also been the primary recipient of bad luck, with 3 race retirements to 2, and (more importantly) 3 mechanical failures during quali to 0. As it stands, the quali comparo is 7 (VET) to 11 (RIC). Remove the quali problems, and it could have been 10 to 8. Vettel's not ready for retirement yet.
I see what you are saying about my sentence, not what I was going for. I agree that Vettel is taking more blame than he deserves but also haven't been that impressed with him this year.

Comparing races they both finished Ricciardo finished ahead of Vettel 10 to 3. http://grandprixrankings.com/compare...sus-ricciardo/. Maybe all related to luck but doesn't seem that close.

One of the problems with motor racing and especially with F1 is it is difficult to tell who is the best. Most individual sports are really easy to judge. Run the 100 meters a few times against the same competition and there isn't much to dispute.