View Single Post
      06-07-2012, 03:15 PM   #53
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsmeek View Post
Thanks sir, I understand tuning as well (been tuning since my first 1989 talon). As I mentioned previously and to quote you, the key here is "ECU that doesnt adapt like this BMW platform".

We are talking about the BMW platform, right? The ECU adapts, it works very well and the tuner (BMS) has taken this into account. Not sure how it's relevant to the BMW and why they are being trashed because they used a more efficient approach to tuning.

They worked with the platform they were given. I haven't heard any nightmares about their approach, their prices are lower and their numbers are consistently higher than the other tuners. Not sure at this point what the advantage is to buying any other system if your car is lightly modded.
That is definitely a great opinion to have but can you supply something more concrete then your opinion?

Specifically in regards to following:
-Adapting being the ideal method of tuning?
-Consistently higher numbers?

I think there seems to be some confusion on how "adaption" really works and what is going on in the background. You do realize the stock DME will detect knock, then reduce ignition 3 degrees, if no knock occurs it will be steadily increasing ignition until it knocks again, to reduce 3 degrees. Not sure how that is consistent....

Quote:
Originally Posted by themyst View Post
It "works" at the cost of consistency. I think most people would rather have a car that traps 120 mph all the time versus a car that does 122 one run, 117 another run and 115 the run after that.
Exactly.
Appreciate 0