View Single Post
      09-02-2010, 10:44 PM   #9
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
Thanks a lot man. I'm still a bit confused how the clutch paddles work, since they're only needed for 1st and from a standstill, right? You mentioned 'for smooth shifts', but all drivers seem to do while underway is just touch the up/down shift paddles. So just like I suspected, the clutch paddles are just like a rheostat, but I don't quite get if each paddle has a different purpose, or they're redundant.

Oh, and have another question: Do F1 cars have a semi-launch control, where the driver can just mash the throttle and the car holds the revs at an adjustable rpm until clutch is released? Hope the answer is no . Thanks again for your help; at least I learned where the paddles are . Looking forward to the race tomorrow.
I'm not sure all they are doing is 'touching' the shift paddle. If you watch you can see their entire hand clinch for it. If it was just tapping the one paddle I could so much force would be required. Having to use 2 paddles would result in such a deliberate movement of the hand.

Also, I don't believe there is any launch control on F1 cars. They only have an anti-stall system. Which is why they can still bog off the line.