View Single Post
      06-19-2007, 01:38 PM   #19
musc
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi TTRS, 335is

Garage List
2011 BMW 335is  [10.00]
It's not that they detuned the motor x amount of HP. Every engine has the capacity to make more HP. Those with forced induction have even more potential. If every engine was built to its max potential, then you'd lose a lot of reliability and longevity. You'd have more broken parts, more failures as you pushed the envelope to make more power.

The 335i was built to suit where BMW thought they should be in there market segment. It wouldn't make much sense for them to sell a 400 hp 335i. Then to make the M competitive, it would have to make x amount more. I am sure we would all like it, but if they are competitive in there market, then no need to push the engines limits. No manufacturer can control what happens in the after market. I am sure they knew it was inevitable that the 335i would be tuned.

I don't think the PROcede, or other tuners, are going to necessarily decrease the life of the 335i, but more so ones driving habits will. The harder you drive the vehicle, the higher the propensity of failure.
Appreciate 0