View Single Post
      07-28-2006, 08:10 PM   #99
epiphone3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X3 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moderato
Good write up, and yes you couldn't be more correct. For people who will drive their BMW's conservatively then the EDL really is the most effcient, sensable system. For those who are going to be initiating wheel spin more often a real LSD would be more effective. I think BMW has improved the DTC system since I had my 04 330i but I'm not sure. DTC will act as an EDL but without the engine management (kills the engine) of DSC. I'm not sure whether or not DTC will brake in an over/understeer situation like DSC, or if it has higher thresholds. I was very impressed with the LSD in my E46 M3 though, and I'm really not that anxious to go back to an open rear diff with DTC unless they've drastically improved it. If the 335i came with the LSD that's on the E46 M3 it would be much, much more desirable, IMO.
Thanks!

Yes, DTC seems to leave the chassis control functions of DSC active but allows full engine power to the wheels. My dad's 330i only has ASC, so I don't have personal experience with the E46 DTC.

I can say, however, that when climbing a very snowy, slippery hill, I switch to DTC and the differential seems to very effective a switching power from side to side and keeping the car going straight as an arrow.

The diff in the M3 is quite amazing and would be a great chassis addition to any car... however, I am sure that most people buying 3 series BMW's would be choked at the increased price of 3-series cars if they were to include such a sensational piece!
Appreciate 0