View Single Post
      05-17-2014, 02:53 AM   #35
Bobbydazzler74
Rep
Drives: BMW 320SI

Well I hope you don't mind me hijacking this thread but I suppose it saves duplication! I've read the 320si posts with interest and may be I can share my tale of woe! Now that seems something quite common with the Si...!

Not so long ago my wife and I found out that we were expecting our first child. Now that was the first mistake! I reluctantly accepted that I now had to have a grown ups car. But during my search, I refused to grow up and my road to BMW ownership began.

I found a lovely low mileage example of a BMW 320SI. I couldn't even pronounce Homologation, never mind know what it meant. But I didn't care. Great looking car, motor sport heritage and 4 doors... perfect.

Unbeknown to me at the time was the reputation that the si was building up. What I also didn't know was that my beautiful new car had caught the eye of some local 'magpies'. The type of thieving variants who don't like paying for their own goods! 4 weeks to the day after purchase, my car was sat in the yard of an insurance assessor's being labelled Cat D.

After several weeks of haggling, I now have money burning a whole in pocket as the search starts for my second BMW in as many months. I wanted another si.... until now!

You see, it seems the local thieving types did me a favour. The more I searched the classifieds, the more Si's appeared with engine rebuilds and the more alarm bells which started ringing.

I've now come to this conclusion. To buy another Si would be financial suicide. I feel like I'm standing, almost teetering on the edge of a whole world of pain. The pockets which currently hold my insurance settlement would need to be significantly deeper.

So onwards to the next chapter. I've put it down to a lucky escape. I now just need to find another beautiful BMW which will satisfy my needs for a family sports car... if there is such a thing.

Any suggestions would be gratefully accepted.
Appreciate 0