02-25-2013, 12:13 PM   #12
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guvernator View Post
Thanks Mike, very useful summary. ]#
Not really fussed about how well they handle to be honest, I want this car to be comfy. Maybe it's just me but I don't really get this current obsession with making SUV's them handle like a car, surely the whole point of them is that they are big, comfy and wafty??
You're welcome. And yes I agree that the 2 litre Q5 diesel is a little underpowered, I haven't driven the 3 litre but have heard very good things about it. It is £6k more list price than the 2 litre, for a given spec. Would Mrs G really use the extra power around London? Then again, on a motorway trip fully loaded you might need more oomph.
I really like the X3 3 litre - again the 2 litre BMW engine is good but it is in a big car.
Also totally agree about comfort. I drove an X3 with 19 inch wheels and M Sport suspension and it was quite firm I thought. BMW X5 M Sports on 20inch alloys are very firm, especially with run flats.
Have you considered a Volvo XC60? Mega discounts on them at the moment, although I know next to nothing about them.

Mike.
Appreciate 0