View Single Post
      09-07-2005, 01:40 PM   #94
CC 330i
Captain
Rep
Drives: 330i SG/Blk/Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squawks
An automatic BMW is now no more better in handling than the TL, A4, G35, C32 AMG?

Let me ponder this a little bit. Hmm, the transmission is part of the powertrain and has BARELY anything to do with suspension.
Let me rephrase this, becuase I think you are missing my point.

The powertrain has basically nothing to do with suspension, but has a lot to do with HANDLING of the car.

Try this: First, turn off the traction control in your car completely by pressing and holding the DTC button for 5 full seconds. Then go out and find a 90 degree corner. Approach the corner very fast, at the limits that you think the suspension can handle. As you approach the corner, put your car in neutral or push in the clutch if it is a manual, and leave it in. Take the corner. You will understeer. (Hope you weren't going too fast).

Now, go back and do the same corner again at the same speed, only this time leave the car in gear and give it about 4,000 RPM as you go through the apex. You will notice a much different feeling this time. If you give it too much gas, you will oversteer. Too little gas, and you will understeer. Just right, and you will have very neutral handling.

What I was trying to say is that the throttle has very much to do with handling, and an automatic does not always let you have complete control over the powertain. The powertrain is SUPREMELY important for handling at or near the limit.

Now as far as handling vs. other cars... If you have 2 different cars that are very close in handling performance, the manual one will have an advantage. The automatic one would have to be a LOT better to compensate. This is not due to weight, weight distribution or suspension, but is because you can't always get the powertrain to do what you want it to.
Appreciate 0