View Single Post
      06-24-2018, 08:07 AM   #5
ap0ll016
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJBO View Post
You really think a plug and play unit is more hassle than disassembling your whole dash? The reading and watching I’ve done suggests installing one of these units is anything but a “big

What sort of tablet are you looking at to fit in the iDrive cubby? The iDrive display is super wide and short, I can’t think of a tablet that would fit in there that wouldn’t look silly. Have you got a link to what you’re thinking?

In any event, it sounds like you’ve made up your mind so not really sure what you’re looking to get out of this thread.
Woah ok, let's take a step back here. First, if you read and watch a little more, you lose a lot of stock features when adding aftermarket units. One small, but noticeable one is the stock chime when opening the door. You may not care, but I do. Also, BMW will not be able to provide updates to the car unless the stock unit is present. Read and watch a little further, and you'll see that people are wiring up their stock unit into the trunk to retain this. Not my cup of tea.

Second, I have not been able to test fit any tablets. I'm out of the country at the moment and can't access a dash or tablet to see. I was thinking a simple 8" tablet. Yes, I know there'd be space left over. I was planning on doing some type of backing to it to cover the space up, which would also hold the tablet in place and cover the wiring. It wouldn't need to be perfect as the shadow from the dash would hide all but the brightness of the screen.

Finally, my mind is not made up. Isn't this what forums are for? To ask questions, get answers, and a bit of Devils advocacy as you're clearly demonstrating? I'm not trying to harshly come at you here, either. I'm strictly answering your questions. This wasn't meant to start an argument and that's the last thing I want. I'm no expert, I do the same thing, watch and read. And I do it a lot. But hey, you may have a point and I'll be sure to take that into consideration