07-09-2013, 09:58 AM   #48
Zero_09
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 E90, 2011 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surly73 View Post
Yes, CHF-11S is expensive. I think it's around $20/L from various amazon sources if you have a way of getting a bottle up from the US.

I just did this about a week ago, finally. None of my car's previous owners had ever bothered to change the steering fluid so I wanted to do it "right", and by wanting to do it "right" meant it was messy, so I kept putting it off.

I have a 328i, so no turbo stuff in the way. With the belly pan off I worked on the banjo bolts at the rack, not at the pump. The belt isn't anywhere in the vicinity of this location. It drizzled all over the front subframe and made a mess, and I just cleaned it up. Use a catch container with a large opening and put cardboard down under the car. I also removed the set screw which attached the "trombone loop" of tubing to the subframe so it was easier to work with the banjo bolts.

If you have maintained your PS system well, or once you've done one comprehensive change you shouldn't have to do the banjo bolt method ever again. Just use a turkey baster in the reservoir every oil change or two and you'll be all set.
Thanks for the detailed instructions. I've always use a large piece of cardboard when I do any kind of fluid change but I somehow still manage to spill some on the driveway lol.

I've already picked up a bottle from Tischer BMW the last time I was there picking up my rims. It cost me $29 after taxes, exchange rate, and shipping.
It isn't bad for me actually. It's not something you do often so it's well worth it to do it. I'm going to have to check out Maranello BMW. I think they have it for around $25-35 with the maxbimmer discount.
Appreciate 0