View Single Post
      06-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #16
nbkkvv5
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKOD View Post
Wow, that's fast! I know I can get more selling private party.....how did you handle paying for the car? Did they pay cash? I've never sold something this expensive, and I was worried about how people will try to pay.
My buyer paid with a cashier's check. However, its very important that you call the Issuer to confirm the check. Google the financial institution to get a phone number and use that number to call to validate the check. They should be able to tell you when the check was drawn, who the check is made out to as well as who requested the check.
edit: I should add that the check should be drawn on or after the original date you and the buyer met, be made payable to you, and that the person who requested the check is the same person who's buying the car.
Note: Never call a phone number that might be printed on a check as that could be a scam. If your buyer is paying with actual cash, then its best that both you and the buyer go to your local bank and have them verify the money to make sure there are no counterfeit bills. If its the weekend and the banks are closed, then wait till Monday to exchange payment and car.

Also, be aware there are many scams involving out of country purchases using an agent who offers to wire funds to you. Stay far away from that.

Lastly, be aware that your bank can place a 10 to 15 business day hold on cashier checks even if the check is validated as good funds. Best to check with your local bank on their policy.

Last edited by nbkkvv5; 06-27-2012 at 04:11 PM..
Appreciate 0