06-14-2013, 10:02 AM   #18
carlsontheflyer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C, AW, 6MT of course!

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielg69 View Post
Looks so nice afterwards. How much was it?
6 hours of labor + a new gasket = $584

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Holy hell...

Would you mind describing your driving habits a bit? Commute length, driving style?

Just curious about about something, not EVEN going to start the "You Should be doing X or Y" BS.
For the first 24k miles or so I did take mostly very short trips. I lived 2 miles from work and the oil temp gauge wouldn't even break 160 on colder days. And the car did use some oil, although very little, about 1/2 quart every 5k miles. Last September, however, we bought a new house about 16 miles from my work (but a MUCH shorter commute for my wife, so it's a win-win all around). The car now warms up properly, I have a chance to row through gears and give the engine a nice morning workout, and since then I haven't added a drop of oil between 5k mile oil changes. So I am thinking that most of this buildup happened in the first 24k miles.

Most of the time I drive in a spirited, although safe manner, not racing. Shift at around 4k - 4.5k RPM, but only after the oil temp gauge hits 200 degrees. Until the engine is warmed up, I am gentle on the throttle and shift between 2.5k and 3k RPM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesun View Post
How much did it run you? Anyone know of a shop in the Cleveland area that will do it? My car has a pretty rough idle and uneven acceleration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wedge1967 View Post
75k and never cleaned them. Car runs great, but I've been spraying a LOT of meth... CWARREN just got a nozzle for blasting so hopefully I'll have it done sometime in the near future once he gets setup. Should be interesting to see how bad they are.
The tech did tell me that using meth/water mix injection will slow down the carbon buildup, but will not eliminate it completely. At some point you WILL need to do this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv135i View Post
Im in ga and would like to know this as well.
Harrison Motorsports in Alpharetta
Phone: 678-879-1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3coupe View Post
Can we ask again for those in Atlanta. How much was the service? Or post you do not want to say. Also, if one can determine they need cleaning and the car is still under warranty is that procedure covered?
Harrison Motorsports in Alpharetta
Phone: 678-879-1200

6 hours of labor + a new gasket = $584. All dealers qouted $800 for the job. It is not covered by the warranty, unless it triggers the CEL and trouble codes and the service department determines that it is the cause of the malfunction. You will probably run out of the factory warranty before this issue is bad enough to cause codes. You can tell them that you *feel* the symptoms, but unless they can document it, they won't pay for it.