View Single Post
      12-29-2011, 11:30 PM   #23
BrianMN
Banned
Rep
Drives: 4 Door Family Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCase View Post
Interesting project you have here...mind sharing any data and calculations you have done regarding this aero setup producing 500lbs downforce at 100mph? How did you come up with that number?
The conversion of the 150lbs of lift to 500lbs of downforce is simply my goal; sorry if it didn't come across clearly. That is a pretty reasonable number that should be achievable quite easily with this system. If I chose to add an AM Wing and canards this summer, that'll be another ~300lbs in the rear and 70 in the front. Not sure how 'extreme' I want to make it. Like I said in the first post, most of the downforce comes from underneath; so that's where the focus is.

There is a LOT of data to go through so far; as I'm using 20 mounting points for the Manometer. I haven't even begun to put the data together yet. Plus, I really need to do more testing with lower ride height; as it's pretty high at the moment. This type of data acquisition is a ton of work to collect, then do all the math to convert the data into useable info.

In essence,when static- plus dynamic pressure stays constant: The equation is ps1 - ps2 = pd2 - pd1, where pd = Rho * v^2/2.

For 500lbs downforce, it'll require an average of .05psi" pressure differential underneath...which should not be overly ambitious. I'll be working with a local Audi guru, who also happens to be an Aerospace Engineer....so he has a bunch of pretty cool (and crazy expensive) equipment and tools that will be a bit more accurate than my $100 Manometer and old school magnahelic.

Last edited by BrianMN; 12-29-2011 at 11:39 PM..
Appreciate 0