Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by son_of_siggy View Post
Awesome post and pictures! We've just purchased a BMW Walnut blaster too to do my Dad's 335i. Might look into renting the tool and/or helping others do it in the Pacific NW if all goes well .
Quote:
Originally Posted by 335twins View Post
great post, my dealer told me that it should be done every 30,000 miles but its not covered under the maintenance plan..
Quote:
Originally Posted by iBoost View Post
Wow, nice write up!
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcvtec View Post
Great review dude
Quote:
Originally Posted by elim11 View Post
Excellent review and write up!
Thanks for all your nice comments, that is really very motivating. It always takes a lot of time to write and document this, so it's great to know that the work is appreciated.

I'll have another car done in about ten days and will post a photo with the correct adapter so that you know what it looks like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infidel82 View Post
This is a really excellent review.

I did this with a few guys from this board a couple of weeks ago but used a different walnut blaster.

The walnut blaster I used was from Harbour Freight tools for around 20 dollars and was a hand held device with a hopper on top for about $25.

There were a couple of issues with this:
1) The compressor we were using was not of high enough pressure
2) The tool kept jamming (correct non-reused media was in use)
3) It was difficult to get the tool to Cyl 6 as the space was limited
4) It makes a hell of a mess

That said I did feel that it accomplished similar effects but just took a lot more time - and a lot less money.

I would personally recommend that for 1000 USD if more than two people want to buy it, it becomes cost effective as dealers charge around 500USD for the service.
I agree. And you have the advantage that it probably works better and with less of a mess with the BMW tool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwing222 View Post
Really awesome write up.

Can this same process work on the 335xi (2008)? I know you mentioned the 335i but I don't know if any differences exists between the two as far as around the manifold.
I am reasonably certain it would also work with an xi. I do not think that there are significant differences due to the AWD in the engine bay (at least not around the manifold).

Quote:
Originally Posted by i2iSTUDIOS View Post
Thanks for doing this for us!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWsky View Post
As usual, great review. Your valves didn't look as bad as many others I've seen, but WOW did you get them clean afterward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
wow...excellent review Sir!
Thank you!

Alpina_B3_Lux