E90SLAM
Supreme Allied Commander
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: A BBS WHORE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3_WC View Post
Did Button and Hamilton even catch up to the safety car at that point? It seems like Button and Hamilton slowed a lot more when safety car was anounced. I was a bit surprised to see Vettel get around and pit that fast, under a safety car. I would say Lewis got ripped is right.
Eventually, but when Race Control declared Safety Car deployed. There's a delta time that the driver must pace at to prevent them sprint and dive to pit lane.
That gave Vettel a few more seconds buffer for his pit stop.

Also that was what caught Button in Canada last year and served a drive through penalty.

Quote:
In the event of a safety car deployment, drivers are given a "delta time" – 120% of a standard race lap (i.e. if the standard lap time is one minute, forty seconds, the delta time is two minutes) – a minimum lap time in which to get back to the pits or else be cited for speeding.

However, following the Webber-Kovalainen crash in Valencia, several drivers were penalised for breaking the delta time as they had been racing ahead of the accident and the safety car was deployed as they approached the end of the lap; in effect, they had safely completed a lap at racing speeds and pitted at the earliest opportunity.

Instead of following the delta time, drivers must slow down to the speed of the safety car from the moment it is deployed, but will be exempt from doing so for the final two hundred metres of the lap.

As a result of this, it will prevent drivers from gaining an advantage by pitting at the earliest possible opportunity and emerging ahead of the safety car.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2010_Fo...#cite_note-148