View Single Post
      03-28-2007, 03:44 AM   #31
Glacked
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 328i

Quote:
quick q...since the officer took my permit and i got no ticket , etc is that a done deal that night or will he like post it in the station and keep me and my car in memory?
Generally speaking, we just send any licenses we take back to the state of origin. I will only take one if it is expired and they have another form of ID - to keep them from passing it off to someone else as a fake ID.

As far as posting it somewhere, I doubt it. I'm not a ticket kinda guy, so I might pull 2-4 people during a 12hr shift. On the odd occasion I do write a ticket, I usually have to pull my video of the stop to remember it. I will on occasion remember a vehicle stopped previously - and if I do there is an associated reason behind that (ie. criminal activity, prior arrest, etc.).

Quote:
my uncle is a cop and basically, they can pull you over for no reason at all
Basically, if your uncle told you that he was either lying or is a bad cop. We all must have probable cause to stop a vehicle. About the only time I'd pull someone without a violation is when the vehicle matches something we've been told to look for - specific make, model, color, tag. I've seen too much evidence supressed over the years on other's cases for seeing a car matchign a bolo, putting it on the side, then finding something inside. I'll just follow them and get picky about the small stuff. Again, that is when I have a reason to be looking at that car - burglary suspect, etc.

Sounds like the OP ran into a prick of a cop. If you seriously did not have your fogs on and he pulled you for that, I'd make damn sure I documented it somehow. If you run into him again and it's the same thing, I'd be making a call to a supervisor. I've gotten on one of my guys for trumping up BS stops. Thank goodness he's no longer with us. I never liked backing him up on calls because I didn't know if I could trust what he said to be true. Not at all what you want to think of a cop.

Finally, don't let one bad experience ruin us all. Yeah, we're the bad guys with regard to having fun driving... it's just a game. You play your part and I'll play mine.
Appreciate 0