United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by enrita View Post
Welcome to the club... Are you Lifting the head to check exactly what caused the issue?
Yeah, once the engine's out of the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diablo335 View Post
If it locked the cyl 4 has a broken rod, pin or piston. Or combo thereof...

Water does use up space. A nozzle spraying too much could easily overcompress the chambers.
You sound like me - talking through what-if scenarios and trying to reverse engineer the situation to identify the problem. I've been doing that for the last week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timore View Post
Another meth horror story... I'm sorry man hope everything works out. Another reason for me to stay away and just use e85.
That's what I'm leaning towards right now, except e85 is basically non-existant in SoCal. There's a 76 station not too far away that sells 100 octane at the pump.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mave198 View Post
That sucks and I wish your vehicle a speedy recovery.

But are u still gonna use Meth after this??

I've always been against using meth because the few times something goes wrong, it goes wrong big time.
Probably not, but like Shiv said above, meth has major benefits at the track. I'm most attracted to the cooling aspects. If I do keep using it I'll make some or all of the following changes:
- locate meth tank in trunk (isolate line and pump from the engine heat)
- more restrictive nozzle
- lower max boost
- different tune???

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebadmofo View Post
Could be as little as popped off coolant hose.
Can you explain a little more, Mofo? I don't understand how that would cause engine failure unless you mean all the coolant leaked out and the engine overheated. I'm confident this wasn't the case since there was no fluid leaking of any kind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Ghost View Post
Do you have logs of the failure?
I wish, but I wouldn't have wanted to have my laptop out on the track with me anyway since it was a road course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
Meth on track days is invaluable. It's just important to make sure that it is controlled and configured properly. It should also be integrated with the tune with more than a basic failsafe.

Sorry for your bad experience. Sometimes running street cars on tracks can be a learning process.

Shiv
I don't want to start a war, but since I genuinely don't know, what kind of additional failsafes are available besides a FSB with an integrated tune like the JB4? I thought the PROcede operated on the same basic principle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
PS. Hydrolock is pretty unlikely. More likely a cracked piston or a spun bearing. But you won't know for sure until the head is lifted.
Is there anyway to identify the root cause, even after the head is lifted? By that I mean, if it is a cracked piston, what caused it to crack, etc?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsalida View Post
Dude this is awful. But I don't see how surging meth would hydro-lock only one cylinder, or affect clutch operation for that matter. Keep us posted.
Me either - this last week has been agonizing waiting for answers. I'm not even sure my clutch is toast as it could just be the master cylinder. I just figured that given the situation, I might as well start with a new clutch to match the new engine. I'm just glad I really liked this car to begin with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT335xi View Post
That sucks man! Sorry for your misfortune . I would think that even with a mishap with the meth that it wouldn't hydro lock your engine. How much water could of possibly pooled up in there ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
How did the plug look? Sounds more likely to be a locked fuel injector than a meth issue in my opinion. I have heard of it happening before with similar results. The tear down should provide clues.

Mike
Dunno yet, but I plan on taking lots of pictures to try and help others learn from my misfortune.