03-31-2014, 02:40 AM   #2521
3V0M
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i LCi

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
If talking about N52, just try not to leave the car idling, or running only at low rpms when it is cold, and then shutdown. In my experience this is the situation that causes the ticking start the next time you start the engine.

It is very replicaple, you can try yourself. In the morning when engine cold, start the car and idle for a few minutes. You will notice the valve train getting noiser after a few minutes. You can even start hearing the ticking if you wait enough. Then shut down the car, wait for half an hour, start the car, most probably it will tick.

If you have updated head (2008 or later I think), this should have been fixed. They probably made the head oil passages better to provide high pressure oil to the lifters even when engine is cold.

When you rev the engine and run it for a while like that, like highway driving, if the lifter was ticking due to air instead of oil in it, since oil pressure is high with high rpm, this clears it up after 10 minutes or so.

If you shut down the engine when it wasn't ticking and warm, next day you start, even if it is cold, you won't have ticking, because the lifters will still be filled with oil from previous run. Only after if you had ran the car low rpm, like idling, when it was cold, it ticks.

This has been my experience 06 325 e90, and very sure of it with my vehicle after 8 years.
+1
Well explained. Your scenario makes sense.

My one office is 1km from my house. Most of the time when I leave home in the mornings or work in the evenings I don't have the ticking. But the next day or when starting the car within an hour of last running (when it was still running cold in the last drive), it will have the ticking.
Appreciate 0