10-11-2013, 01:29 PM   #52
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by late apex View Post
Will have to wait till we get a chance to experience the M4 to make final judgement, but considering it's using turbos it is likely not possible for BMW get enough real sound (while keeping out unwanted noise) into the cabin to satisfy many enthusiasts. I can't think of any new car with turbos that does.

I drove the MP4-12C and 458 back to back and I felt like the 12C was clearly the better performer, but lacked the 458's emotion from the NA V8. That said, I'd still purchase the 12C over the 458 because for me the performance makes up for whatever it gives away in exhaust note comparisons.

Who knows, maybe M4's performance and driving experience will be enough for you to overlook that it no longer produces the raw sound of a screaming NA V8.

BMW might have to develop a different solution that doesn't use the vehicle's speakers. As previously stated, a lot of manufacturers are now using sound generators but it seems BMW may get extra criticism because ASD produces recorded sound though the speakers. Maybe BMW chose that solution because it's easier/cheaper to control the sound ASD produces that way? The sound generators employed by other manufacturers may not be pre-recorded, but they're still amplifying and altering the sound so it's a stretch to say they're "real" sounds.
Active Sound shows that BMW has contempt for true enthusiasts, and because of it,their sales will soon plunge to 0.

But until then, if they don't equip all their cars with LED lights (at N/C), they'll fall behind Audi and Merc. Who, by the way have softer seats, so we should have them. But Porsche has better bolsters on their seats, so maybe we should have them.

Then again, these present, badge whore BMW buyers mostly use that newfangled DCT, which was created by Satan, and not the Be One With Thine Machine 6MT, which cowboys used to herd cattle and Patton used to beat Hitler.

And these F32's have those hideous Bimmerangs, so a good alternative is the C 07, with the gigantic Cheverangs. And i might have to get a GT-R because of that god awful hood cut line, even though the GT-R has it too.

I'll NEVER get rid of my NA V8 either, even though the F8X will outperform it in every way. It's like listening to a symphony! Even though i did get the enhanced sound package...which btw should be standard on a $70K car!

And don't get me started on that glued on iPad nav screen, instead of the beloved hump.

Maybe I'll get an M4 and put a RSGT3AMG badge on it, so people will think I'm an enthusiast.

...or maybe I'll just bitch about everything...yeah, that it!
Appreciate 0