View Single Post
      01-14-2011, 11:11 PM   #19
orionredwing
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i Sedan, 135i Coupe

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Well, for many good reasons. If you were just a regular person who uses his car to commute / vacation, and don't abuse your car, chances are the factory maintenance levels are ok. Plus to have hit 1 million miles, you must pack a lot of highway miles, which is very easy on the car.

However, for me, it's completely different. My car is modified, and I subject it to extreme conditions by tracking it. This isn't a few highway pulls and thrills, it's a whole day of non-stop high RPM to redline at full throttle.

Now....that's VERY HARD on the car! Since I like my car a lot, I don't subscribe to the 'drive it hard till it dies' mentality, so it would be smart of me to also be as aggressive in my maintnenace, wouldn't you agree?

However, that maintenance is very expensive. 15K oil change intervals are no longer reaslistic, but what should I do? 5K, 7.5K, 10K? Doing things like a UOA would help mitigate/optimize my maintenance expense as explained in my Cost paragraph above.

Hope that makes sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
You know, I've owned somewhere north of 15 cars in my lifetime and driven a cumulative of almost 1 million miles and I've never, ever, taken a sample of oil and sent it to a lab for analysis. I've just followed the manufacturer's oil recommendations and oil change intervals. I've never had one engine in any of those cars fail, ever.

Why do you guys waste so much time on this crap?

PROcede | AMS FMIC | AR Catless DPs | AR Oil Cooler | BMS DCI
Wavetrac LSD | KW V3 w/ Swift Springs | M3 Front Suspension
Appreciate 0