05-24-2012, 04:18 PM   #27
mob17
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaigoss69 View Post
If I were you I would get a 12W6 or ID 12 as they are better suited for small sealed enclosures and you will likely not harvest the full potential of the W7 in that enclosure and with "only" 600W. Also, with the W6 you can go 2ohm and get another 200-300W out of the amp. 870W sounds about right power-wise for a W6 in a small enclosure.

So is the only way to harness the full potential of the W7 is to use a larger enclosure (non corner)? So im guessing a W7 is not an ideal sub for our cars rattle wise?

I did look at the 12W6, but the reason i threw it out of my options is that JL recommend a maximum of 600w rms. Anything above and the warranty is void, which kind of scares me! So it makes me think that maybe 870w is too much and I may blow it? Im not sure though and i suppose i could just turn the amp gains down. In your experience, how many rms watts is sufficient for loud deep bass? Its just that i want to use my amp to its full potential at 2 ohm.

I also placed Xmax high on my spec wishes, as i listen to a lot of bass heavy music, and the W7 has 29mm compared with the W6's 17mm. Im no expert on subs but i think Xmax is quite important? Having said that it might be a waste of money as, like you say, it is in a small enclosure and getting 650w.

As far as which side, I'm not sure but the battery side may have more depth as you can remove the battery tray cover completely and let the whole box sit in its place. VP did this for e92s, but never for e90s. Not sure why. From what I've seen though it seems difficult to get more than 1 cu ft without the box protruding too much into the trunk, to the point of being ugly and impractical..

Well it would make it more practical for me going to the battery side if i needed to go and change the amp gains. Im just a bit wary of bass being so close to the battery and the fuel cap, which may rattle?
Appreciate 0